Do Epsom Salt Baths Help Us Detox?At the surface, it didn’t make much sense to me how these baths would help detox. Then I started learning about Sulfur. Sulfur is the 8th most common element in the human body by mass (4). It’s used in every area of the body in one way or another. Here’s a brief overview:
- Sulfate is needed for proper pancreatic enzyme action
- Sulfate is essential at forming the mucin proteins that line the gut walls
- Sulfur containing compounds are a very important part of Phase 2 detox in the liver
- Sulfate is necessary for the formation of brain tissue and proper neurotransmitter function
- Sulfate is needed for proper joint lubrication and function
Interesting to note: there are 3 ways to get more sulfates into your body. Eating it, absorbing it through the skin, or creating it from methionine and cysteine. The problem is: the ability to absorb it from eating sulfur containing foods is very inefficient (5). And if you have IBD or any gut dysbiosis, it’s likely even worse (6).