Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How Sleep Deprivation Fries Your Hormones, Your Immune System, and Your Brain

I can sleep when I’m dead!” “The early bird gets the worm.” Ever said either of those things to yourself? Or do you no longer have to say these things to yourself because you run on four to five hours of sleep pretty much every night? You’re used to it. You don’t need sleep, right? That’s for lazy, unmotivated people who don’t have things to do. You’re way more productive than the average bear.


That’s what I used to tell myself, too. In my early and mid-twenties I would wake up extra early to get my workouts in, train a client at the gym at 5:00 or 6:00am, then go to class or work for the rest of the day, catch my second workout in the afternoon, maybe teach a fitness class as well, then go home and stay up until 11:00pm or midnight working on school. It didn’t get any better once I graduated and started working shifts at the hospital. I spent a good decade of my life getting an average of about four to six hours of sleep per night and wondering why I always felt like crap, why I couldn’t lose weight, and why I always felt like on the verge of a nervous breakdown on top of numerous other health problems.

Read More http://breakingmuscle.com/

No comments: