Honey Lemon Cough SyrupLemon juice has citric acid and bioflavonoids that boost immunity and fight infection and is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Honey is a natural immune system booster, loaded with anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties, and has been proven to reduce nighttime coughing and improve sleep. (Due to the risk of infant botulism, a rare but serious form of food poisoning, never give honey to a child younger than age 1.)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey (use a locally produced raw honey, if possible.)
- 2 Tablespoon hot water
The hot water soothes and reduces swelling, while breaking up congestion in your throat. The lemons’ acidity will cut through mucus, kill bacteria, and provides an extra shot of Vitamin C. The honey coats your throat and sweetens up all that acid that’s working in the lemon.
Homemade Shower DiscsPlace a disc on your shower floor and as the water slowly dissolves it, the essential oil vapors combine with the steam to relieve cold symptoms.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup water (enough to make paste)
- Essential oils (eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint)
Thyme Facial Steam BathThyme has long been known as an expectorant, which makes coughs more productive (that is, it helps clear out your lungs faster so you feel better sooner).
- Toss either a handful of dried thyme or a few drops of Thyme essential oil into a bowl of hot water and lean over the bowl.
- Cover both your head and the bowl with a towel.
- Inhale the steam to help loosen mucus in your chest.
Cayenne “Tea” Sore Throat RemedyTechnically not a tea, but it is made with warm water and it’s an effective sore throat remedy. Cayenne pepper aids in breaking up and moving congested mucus. Once mucus begins to leave the body, generally relief from cold and flu symptoms follows.
- ¼ cup warm Water (warm enough to dissolve the honey)
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice or 3 drops Lemon essential oil
Honey and Cinnamon Cold RemedyBoth honey & cinnamon have antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.
- 1 teaspoon honey (organic raw honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon